Welcome To Parenting My Kids!
Ed and Nancy Ekis, Founders
We know of few joys greater than spending quality time with a child . . .
- having fun, laughing, and enjoying the wonders of life together
- helping them learn something new
- sharing in the joy of little victories
- encouraging them when they need a boost
- seeing their happiness when they finally learn to do something that is hard
- telling them our stories and lessons learned, and getting little nods of understanding and agreement (sometimes)
- simply delighting in the gift of being able to watch them grow.
It’s important that we do these things because life in general seems just a little bit harder today. As parents, grandparents, and school volunteers, we know of many challenges being faced by parents, grandparents, teachers, and other professionals who are working hard to help kids develop the knowledge, habits, and skills they will need to succeed.
One of the major needs that we see is the childhood development of strong Executive Functioning Skills. These skills include the ability to focus, pay attention, organize, plan, initiate action, manage time, and complete a task. Kids today are often terribly distracted by so many things that bombard their brains that the development of strong neural pathways that support focus, attention, and related skills is negatively impacted.
So we have looked for a way to help solve this problem and are happy and humbled with the many positive responses we are getting about our company and our first product – Folders for Focusing. Complete descriptions and order information are on our website at www.parentingmykids.com
We have four primary purposes:
- Finding and sharing useful information to support parents, grandparents, educators, and other professionals who help children develop essential skills.
- Strongly encourage the use of Folders for Focusing to help children become proficient with Executive Function.
- Creating and finding adjunct products of great value that can help children develop capable Executive Functioning Skills.
- Sharing your stories of action and success in helping kids be all that they can be.
Ed was born and raised in Ohio, educated at Ohio University, and is retired from Nalco Chemical Company and Silliker Inc. Nancy was raised in Vermont, also graduated from Ohio University, and is a nutritionist (retired). We married in 1970, live in Naperville, Illinois, and have three grown children, a son and daughter-in-law, and six grandchildren with our seventh due in July 2018. That’s us in the picture below with our children, their spouses, and our grandchildren. They’re beautiful aren’t they, and we’re sure that yours are too!
Our dream is everlasting and we hope to be helpful to many, many families and educators near and far. Bless you for the good work that you are doing to raise and teach your kids!
Ed and Nancy Ekis
We believe that every child . . .
- is a special gift who deserves the best care we can provide,
- is learning from birth (and even before),
- has a unique opportunity for some kind of greatness,
- should have real chances to be happy, healthy, and capable of someday leading a responsible and joyous life.
And we know that . . .
- parenting provides wondrous opportunities for joy as we see our children learn and grow,
- parenting requires real commitment and can sometimes be very difficult,
- none of us have all the answers
- we can learn from each other.